A Kentucky couple recently filed a mesothelioma lawsuit against 96 defendant corporations claiming that the wife’s illness was caused by wrongful exposure to the toxic mineral.
Roberta and Joseph Stamper filed the lawsuit Sept. 12 in Madison County Circuit Court claiming that Roberta was diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer this month. The lawsuit alleges that Roberta’s illness was caused by the ingestion of asbestos fibers released in the air when Joseph remodeled their home and worked on their car.
Roberta and Joseph are seeking compensation from the defendants not only for medical costs, but for lost wages, pain and suffering.
The couple is suing for more than $100,000 in punitive and exemplary damages more than $200,000 in economic damages and $150,000 in compensatory damages which cover attorney fees and other relief the Court feels is appropriate.
Roberta and Joseph Stamper are not the firsts to file a lawsuit against companies in the construction and auto industries for asbestos exposure. Many homes built before the 1970s may contain asbestos-laden products such as: roofing, shingles, flooring, cement siding, vinyl floor tiles, vinyl wall coverings, textured paint and coatings and decorative plaster.
If the asbestos-containing products are damaged or disturbed, toxic fibers are released into the air and can be easily inhaled through the nose or mouth. Over time, the fibers may accumulate in the lining of the lungs, heart or stomach and can lead to the development of mesothelioma cancer or other asbestos related diseases.
Asbestos can also be found in older cars. Before regulations against the use of asbestos were enforced in the late 1970s, the auto industry used the mineral in brake pads and other parts because of its resistance to heat and friction.
(Source: Madison St. Clair Record)
Are you suffering from mesothelioma cancer due to asbestos exposure? If so, contact mesothelioma treatment centers to speak to a mesothelioma attorney who will fight to ensure your legal rights are protected.